Saturday, June 19, 2010

About my Dad....


Thinking of Fathers' Day this evening. Of course, I waited until a little late to think of it. I only found out today that TOMORROW is the "big day." That's what happens when you're out of touch with things.

My Dad is one of the most important people in the world to me. He has given so much of himself to me throughout so many years of great neediness on my part. And he suffered years of silence from me as I plummeted to the depths of illness when he didn't know at any given moment if I was alive or dead.

My Dad is my best critic of all of my work, art or writing. I value his opinions because they are almost always on the money. He has the eagle eye of a proof reader and can spot inconsistencies from a mile away. But he is never short on praise either.

He is my "chauffeur" -- spending many hours and days lately, driving me from one appointment to another. I try to stack my doctors' appointments as many as possible in one day because they are in NY (I live in PA and my dad lives in NJ)...so you see there is a lot of driving involved.

He and my mom have, at countless times, provided some big ticket items for me that I desperately needed but would have gone without had it not been for their self-sacrifice and generosity. The latest of these is a new mattress for my hospital bed and a recliner...both of which are essential to me because it is between the two of these that I spend about 90% of my time due to pain issues. (And yes, Dad, I KNOW the mattress money was a loan...it's coming! :) )

The best thing that my Dad has given me is a very clear picture of the Father-heart of God. He has been faithful to raise me in the faith and has stretched my understanding of God through many good conversations and shared reading materials. But most of all, he has modeled, through his own behavior, what God's heart is to us, His kids. He does the right thing, even when it's hard...like disciplining us kids; or tithing when that meant doing without many other things.... He loves when it is hard...when there is silence, or worse rage and madness on the other end.

Dad, I want to have this opportunity to thank you in front of the Web-world for being the most incredible dad I could ever have asked for. Thank you. And I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see the picture of you in long hair. Can't tell if it goes all the way down. Glad to hear you have a better bed and mattress. Dad must be a really good guy--glad you have him !