Saturday, December 21, 2019

A Different Kind of Christmas

In past years, I have written a lot about giving thanks at the Thanksgiving season and about Christmas in the Christmas season. You may have noticed this year, the lack of holiday around these parts.  This year neither my father nor I put up any Christmas decorations (nor did I the last few years). Our holiday celebrations have been small.  On Thanksgiving, my dad and I went to an elderly friend's house and his caregiver cooked for us a turkey dinner.  We had a very nice time and it was especially nice because we lifted the spirits of someone for whom the Holidays are difficult.

This year I'm at my dad's (got here on Friday the 20th) and am staying through the 26th when I have an MD appointment that dad will drive me to and then bring me back home.  We will be attending the Christmas Eve celebration at my dad's church...that will be our holiday shot in the arm of Christmas spirit.

Dad and I decided to create our own celebration in a way that is far from traditional.  We are having a DiGiorno pizza and making ice cream sundaes for dessert.  Now for two people who are trying to lose weight, maybe that is not too commendable, but I ask you, how many calories will you pack away eating your Christmas dinner and sampling all the cookies and candies that doubtless abound in your place of celebration?  And then topping it off with pie...or maybe cheesecake? LOL  And let us NOT forget the EggNog which is a personal favorite..   (I'm just trying to keep things in perspective).  At any rate, we will enjoy ourselves as best we can...and try hard not to compare this year to years past.

And where ever you are.  How ever you celebrate--give Christmas the meaning  for which it was intended.  Worship and celebrate the coming of the infant King...who will one day--maybe SOON!!!--reign on Earth as well as in Heaven as Savior and Lord of all.  Be Blessed this Christmas and throughout the coming new year.  Keep Jesus as center and give him and  his Word, the attention and reverence they deserve.

Glory to God in the Highest and on Earth, Peace, and goodwill toward men.
May God bless you and keep you.  May he make his face to shine upon you---and grant you peace.

No comments: