Friday, March 1, 2019

Numbering our Days

Psalms 90:12 Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Some days fly by. this is usually true if I go out for brunch with a friend or two....and do an errand maybe...then before you know it it is time for dinner and bed. ( I go to bed insanely early...but by then I'm exhausted.)

And then there are days when I need to go to Orange County for an MD appointment. I either take the county bus for the elderly or disabled, or my dad takes me. These trips often siphon my last reserves of strength and when i get home I plotz onto my recliner or go straight to bed. But as tiring as it is, it is nice to get out and see my dad.

And then there are days, increasingly, when I hurt too much to go anywhere. I would not go to a concert to see my favorite group even if I had backstage passes. It's just impossible with this stubborn, murdering pain. So I stay home and maybe wash a few dishes. and that will be my accomplishment for the day. And these days crawl. But the weeks fly by. this winter was only about 3 weeks long in my estimation.

David prayed that God would teach him to number his days. To make the most of every minute, giving it his full attention. My dad was listening to bluegrass gospel on his XM in the car. And one man who dreamed he was at cemetery, he saw his marker engraved "Here lies a man who just came and went". It's supposed to be a good thing not to leave a biological footprint. But what if we leave NO footprints? What if we sleep away our days and leave the earth without helping anyone; without making a difference, without knowing and being known?

I saw Joni Erickson Tada sing a duet on the topic of numbering our moments and living well. ( I will try to find that video to put here). And of all people to worry about having honored God with her life! she has done more that almost anyone else I could name, with less physical resources to do it. This shows me several things. -1 my level of disability doesn't exempt from participating in life and in helping people when I can. 2--Our means of making our mark will differ according with the challenges that are individual to us. Even sending a compassionate smile to someone who is struggling.

I need to work harder at making the most of my days. But worshiping God all morning and interceding for others in the afternoon is NOT a wasted day. Being still in God's presence is never time wasted. Writing my blog and maintaining my FB page are some of the ways I can participate in spreading news about the Lord and what he is doing in my life and in our country. Reaching out and mentoring women who struggle with some of the same diagnoses I have...that is important to me and I know it is important to God as well.
I found that clip about Joni...here it is: 

Lord, I know that I do not have to perform for you to love me.  You love me regards of how much I am able to do or not do.  I pray that  you would use me. I don't know how much time I will have left.  But Father grant me a heart that worships, draw me close to your feet like Mary did, so that she could absorb you and be taught by you.  Yes there was work to be done....but she chose what was better. and Jesus said it would not be taken away from her.  Worship trumps work. That doesn't mean that Martha was displeasing the Lord by preparing a meal for him. That is a form of worship also. But the BEST--is to sit, listen, and absorb.

Lord, don't let me let days slide by without using the heart of wisdom you offer for us to number our days.  Show me what my day's assignment is.  And never let a day go by without my gazing at You in adoration.  Make my times of worship, study , and prayer the most meaningful parts of my days.

No comments: