Friday, June 8, 2018

The Secret Knowledge



I've been at my Dad's and did not bring my God-Box with me  (for those of you who don't know, that is the name of a box of Scripture verses that I got last winter and I bought one for a friend and she gave it the name "God-Box"..........Seeing what verse the Lord has for me each day has been enlightening--but not always easy. (read the post prior to this one for more on that))  
Yesterday I felt in my spirit that my verse that BibleGateway.com emailed to me yesterday, was going to be significant to me in the way that the God-Box has.   It was Psalm 90:2,4.  I felt the need to read the whole chapter and this is one of the portions that spoke to me. This is a Psalm--a prayer--written by Moses and it is incredibly beautiful.  Here is a portion of Psalm 90.

Lord, through all the generations
    you have been our home!
Before the mountains were born,
    before you gave birth to the earth and the world,
    from beginning to end, you are God

You turn people back to dust, saying,
    “Return to dust, you mortals!”
For you, a thousand years are as a passing day,
    as brief as a few night hours.

You sweep people away like dreams that disappear.
...
10. Seventy years are given to us!
    Some even live to eighty.
But even the best years are filled with pain and trouble;
    soon they disappear, and we fly away.

12 Teach us to realize the brevity of life,
    so that we may grow in wisdom....


14 Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love,
    so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives.
15 Give us gladness in proportion to our former misery!
    Replace the evil years with good.
16 Let us, your servants, see you work again;
    let our children see your glory.


Why did this passage speak to me?  I am  in a LOT of pain and it is pain that will only increase in time and my level of disability will also worsen.  It has been my prayer for some time now that God would hasten to put a period to my sentence in this present body of mine.  

What does Moses pray when faced with the brevity of life? Does he ask for work to do for God....for God to make him famous with a reputation that will long outlive him?  
No. 
He asks for gladness and joy.  For God to replace the bad years with good ones.  That God would show him His glory -- for him  to be satisfied with God's love.

I have felt that there is so very little I can do for God.  And I see here that God is not asking me to do great things.....simply to enjoy  Him and His love.  He is not asking me to  pretend things are good and I'm deliriously happy.  No, he acknowledges the misery of our lives and asks for God to show him the brevity of these pain-filled days and to give us wisdom to understand that we do not have long to suffer here on earth.  

God is in the process of redeeming the created world and that involves putting an end to these disease ridden, pain-riddled bodies.  And the best thing we can do in the time that we are here is to understand that and to take delight in that knowledge.  To enjoy God while we are here and to rejoice in the deliverance that is coming.

 Wow. I'm so glad that God is not expecting me to write a best-seller or to go on the speaking circuit....because I don't feel called to that or to be even able to do it.  He is not expecting me to work for Him but to understand that this time of suffering is brief and the best thing I can do is to ride the current of pain and to look to the deliverance that is coming and to trust that soon all that is mysterious to me now, will be clear and comprehensible.  I am to delight in God and to love Him for His indispensable gifts to us.
And that is the wisdom--the secret knowledge--that God will give to those who gain a heart of wisdom at the understanding of the brevity of life..,

*please understand that I'm not saying that we should not work and provide for our families and not do the labor that God has given us to accomplish.  For those who are able, they will take the understanding of the brevity of life and do God's work here on this earth while there is time.

No comments: