Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Have You Ever Seen an Anxious Tree?

“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord And whose trust is the Lord. For he will be like a tree planted by the water, That extends its roots by a stream And will not fear when the heat comes; But its leaves will be green, And it will NOT BE ANXIOUS in a year of drought Nor cease to yield fruit." Jer. 17:7-8

I've been struggling with terrible anxiety/panic attacks.  I believe they are the result of one my medications so I'm off of that med for a week to see if that helps.  Anxiety often stems from actual or perceived lack; lack of resources, lack of emotional reserves; lack of physical strength; lack of someone to help or rescue or a lack of faith in God's abundant provision that never runs dry.   And look at this tree....happily planted by a source of water, leaves soaking in the sun.  It has everything it needs to be productive.  EVEN when the resources seem small or when they are blocked by something (such as a drought, which normally might mean death to a tree)....but THIS tree is planted by a river and has an abundance of flowing water.  This tree has all it needs and for this reason it is not anxious.

Are not WE planted in the springs of Living Water which God-Man, Jesus told us would keep us from ever thirsting again? (read John 4  and also John 7) All we have to do it accept and trust his words and he will keep those streams of living sufficiency coming our way.
Jeremiah 17:13
O Lord, the hope of Israel, all who turn away from you will be disgraced. They will be buried in the dust of the earth, for they have abandoned the Lord, the fountain of living water.

The first thing is Belief--when we do not believe that we have adequate resources to "Never thirst again"...our supply truly is an eternal pledge for all time. I -Will- Meet-Your-Needs.  We will never be in over our head while we are standing on Jesus' shoulders.  Do you really believe that with all your heart?  It is comforting to me to write this as moments ago I was anxious and fearful.  This verse (Jer 17:7-8) came to my email and the word "ANXIOUS" popped out and I said, "Lord, this verse must be for me.

Tomorrow I will write part two of these articles. And it will deal with the manner in which I dealt with a horrible fear of the future.

No comments: