Friday, April 30, 2010

Delete It? Or Persevere in Spite of it??



I'm listening to Crystal Lewis belting out "How Great Thou Art!" SING IT CRYSTAL!! She has all the air and voice that I no longer do, so I rely on her to sing it for me.

I had a bad night.

I'd described it in another post but then decided that it was bad enough to live through once, why relive it? And why subject you to it also?? So I pushed the handy-dandy delete button and it was gone into cyber-eternity. Don't you wish you had one of those "Delete" buttons in your real life?

Bad memories? Delete.
Difficult relationship? Delete.
Pain? Delete.

Ever so much handier than Staples' "Easy Button"...because if you ask me, there is very little in life that qualifies as easy! Problem is, we would end up with very short lives!! At least, I would...because a large amount of it would have been deleted!

So what are the other options?
  • Well, for one, we could WHINE...and this is, I confess, a huge temptation for me...It is not always that I complain about my pain or my difficulties; I just TALK ABOUT THEM way too much! And that can get old very fast....both to me and to anyone who knows me.

  • The other thing we could do is to delete them from our own memories...Escape...via, drugs, alcohol, avoidance, dissociation, etc... This option has its own obvious problems, but unfortunately, many people choose it.

  • There is also another means of running from the hard things in our life...and that is false optimism...You know the type: bubbly, vivacious, effervescent (all nice words actually, but this type of person makes me a bit nauseous)...

  • And there is another option...and this is one I cling to and choose...Unfortunately it is not always my knee-jerk reaction, because I'm a fallen human; and out pop whiny little articles like the one I just deleted... But the best option by far is to admit realistically that the situation is difficult (it may just plain SUCK), but to also acknowledge God's wisdom, sovereignty and his Goodness. That means in English: God knows what he's doing; he has the right to do it because frankly: HE'S GOD, and best of all though, all of his actions are rooted in his love for us ad his desire to see us benefit. It may not be until Eternity. It may hurt a heck of a lot here on this earth. But you know what? I think it's better than Satan's plan.

Satan's plans look something like this: He may give you a quick, cheap thrill just to sucker you in...but that really quickly turns to pain...sadness...meaninglessness,...and pointless suffering. You know why? Because just as God is good and has a wonderful plan for your life...Satan is evil and wants nothing more than to see you destroyed in the worst way imaginable.

So it's really a very clear choice if you look at it with clarity and refuse to be fooled by the subterfuge of the evil one....

Rev 3:10-11 "Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world.
Look, I am coming quickly. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown."
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That one option; stay with the pain, walk the broken road, take the slings and arrows of outrageous (mis)fortune...this is the only sane option. "Lo, I am with you, even till the end..."

To the world, this option is insanity. To God?
This option is faith, in boots.

timo