Tuesday, April 7, 2020

At Home and Afar

illustration by my daughter, Alexa
It has been some time since my last post.  It has been three(?) weeks of cabin fever, trapped in my house, my husband and I who are both high risk for the Coronavirus.   I have not talked to anyone, except for my husband, my father, a ZOOM prayer meeting with others in my church, and briefly with a neighbor/friend who has been an angel to me, picking up stuff from the grocery store for me. Pain is still my constant companion and nemesis.  Thankfully my new hip joint has healed and no longer is painful.  Of course my other hip will also be due for a revision. surgery...and my knees have now joined the fray ...but the worst problem (aside from the most likely irreparable pain in my feet and ankles) is now my left shoulder.   My right one is almost unusable due to a botched replacement surgery and will probably just have to be endured. But the left one is demanding attention....

All of my April (and some from March) doctor appointments have  been rescheduled for May or June.  I am hoping that MAYBE by then, there will be some improvement in the situation that will make it possible to go out of the house.  I read last night that the next two weeks are expected to be the apex of the virus when things will get dramatically worse.  There will be many deaths and many new cases.  Right now--as of yesterday or so,--there are only two cases of COVID-19 in the county where I live and one of these has been a fatality.  In the next county (over the NY border) at the hospital where I always go, there have been a number of deaths.

I have been wondering how things are on the world stage--apart from the virus--  I guess maybe some of that might be found in the back pages of a newspaper...but I never see a newspaper.  For example: how have the situations with Russia, China, Syria and Israel been politically? Or has that all been completely moved to a back burner as survival  has eclipsed all of that stuff into a stasis? Might that not demonstrate that all these tensions really are not what matter most? We are all human beings--eating, breathing, sleeping and trying to stay alive in this problem plagued planet...Can we not maybe put aside political pretension and animosity and just play nicely in the sandbox?

But I know, the sinful resentments, edacity, and tensions that plague this sinful globe are the result of the core problem of sin and there is only one cure for that: the blood and resurrection of Jesus...He is our only hope and we know, from his words in Scripture, that things must deteriorate and climax in the devastation of this planet and all of its evils.  This is necessary so that the New Earth can be born, ruled by Y'shua the Messiah when he establishes his Kingdom --when finally we will have the peace that right now, we can only dream about.

Be safe, my friends.  Go grocery shopping and then GO HOME and STAY THERE for the next two weeks.

No comments: