Thursday, November 14, 2019

Fizzy Doubt; Rock-Solid Faith

I was listening to a video put out by Hillsong United and song writer /singer Joel Houston talked about his efforts to be the man God wants him to be-in intimate relationship with Him--and Joel said frankly and humbly that "sometimes I feel like a fraud."  And I know exactly what he is talking about.  I just re-read my last post here where I confessed my doubt that God will heal me.  And while doubts like that rise to the surface....like the froth on a newly poured soda....there is still plenty of "fizz" in the drink...unless it sits too long without an "in-pouring" of fresh soda.

I do not seriously question God's ability to miraculously heal me or anyone else with faith in Him or anyone for whom it suits God's purposes to heal.  But I think in most hearts there is a pocket of fear that maybe God would overlook them or that they are unworthy of God's touch.  As I said, it is good for God to show us these things--not only to bolster up areas that are weak or struggling--but also to keep us from being proud of our steadfastness.  We are all humans.  We all struggle. We are all weak.  And that is why it is so great that God loves us, makes His strength work best in those who are weak.

Corinthians 12:9 says
"Each time he said, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me." This was God's reply when Paul asked Him to remove the "thorn in his flesh." (I just realized something cool.  This reference is 12:9 and my birthday is 12/09.  I don't think it is coincidence that I just noticed that.) Anyway.  For those who struggle with doubt...maybe doubt that God really loves them...or even that He exists at all: sometimes random "doubt thoughts" float through my brain but I challenge them.  I take those thoughts captive and bring them to obedience (2 Cor. 10:4 NIV We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.)  The NLT version says that we destroy every proud obstacle that keeps men from knowing God.  And I think that that includes our own doubting selves.

When I doubt the existence of God, I open my book of Miracles and Provisions...and rehearse to myself the amazing ways God has evidenced Himself in my life.  There I find things for which there can be no other explanation other than the power and provision of a loving God who delights in being my Father. And every time, after I present the evidence and say "I rest my case," then I MUST oust those flimsy doubts and replace them with intractable faith.

Our faith life is a constant influx and outpouring of God's power and love.  And sometimes this is true even in the strongest believer such as John the Baptist,  who sent messengers to Jesus while John was in prison facing his death, and questioned Jesus as to whether or not He really was whom He claimed to be.  Jesus did not rebuke  him for his doubt.  Rather He pointed to the miraculous evidences of His divine power and reassured John that he was not mistaken in the identity of Jesus as Messiah.  And this is the process I go through every time a doubt wiggles it's slimy way to the surface.  I look at the miracles.  And I must believe.

So in case you were concerned by my expressions of what could be evidences of doubt in the power and love and existence of God-- fear not!  My faith, by itself, is not strong.  But the One on whom my faith rests is a mighty Rock that will not be shaken or threatened by my fizzy doubts. And that makes my faith intractable and solid.  A person is only as strong as the basis for their beliefs.  If what you are believing in feels like Jell-0 maybe it's time to reassess and find One more secure and steadfast on whom to place your trust.




No comments: