Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Pain, Sorrow, Struggles--Is God a Sadist?

"In choosing to follow Christ in the way he directs, we choose all that this path includes under his sovereign providence. Thus, all suffering that comes in the path of obedience is suffering with Christ and for Christ — whether it is cancer or conflict.

"And it is “chosen” — that is, we willingly take the path of obedience where the suffering befalls us, and we do not murmur against God. We may pray — as Paul did — that the suffering be removed (2 Corinthians 12:8); but if God wills, we embrace it in the end as part of the cost of discipleship in the path of obedience on the way to heaven.

"All experiences of suffering in the path of Christian obedience, whether from persecution or sickness or accident, have this in common: They all threaten our faith in the goodness of God and tempt us to leave the path of obedience.
"....Therefore, all suffering, of every kind, that we endure in the path of our Christian calling is a suffering “with Christ” and “for Christ.”
Rev. John Piper
 
This quote was taken from this morning's devotional reading by BibleGateway.com.  I don't know what is protocol in a case like this where I quote a passage...I'm not sure if I need to obtain permission or not but I do feel pressed to put this out there--I'm sure someone needs to see this today.
 
People have asked me if I am a masochist when I talk about my pain and how it has been something I have accepted and have slain in me anything that disputes with God over it.  I also have heard, (sadly) that people call God a sadist for "causing" me to suffer.  This is a difficult topic to talk about because it largely depends on the background of the person I am talking to.  If it is to someone who does not believe in the sovereignty  and goodness of God, then they are really going to struggle to comprehend.  And their response (as in the case of my family) may very well be anger...at a God who would allow such a thing, let alone ordain it....and at me; for yielding to God's plans.

The thing is, this world is full of pain and suffering---to believers and unbelievers. If you are living on this earth, chances are good, you've experienced, at least to a small degree, suffering.  And maybe you have wondered how could someone believe in a God who is causing or, at the very least, allowing pain in the lives of those who love him?

I like how Rev, Piper in the quote above separates the experience of pain from the pursuit of a course that God has put us on---and that it is yielding in obedience to the path, and all that that entails, rather than seeking out case by case of suffering. I have kind of a silly image in my mind.  It's like this: You want to drive to Disney Land and you are in a beat up car without shocks.  And the road is abysmal...pitted with deep potholes.  So you set out for your destination and you hit your first pot hole...your vertebrae collide with each other and your head begins to hurt.  Person #1 - who is committed to this road because it takes them where they want to go, go over the pot hole, feels that pain....and keeps on going. Person in car #2 gets stuck there.  They drive back and forth over that pothole and just can't face the thought of the rest of the potholes in the road ahead.  They turn around and go home, never even glimpsing the destination they had hoped to reach and they rail at God, for allowing the rutted road to be the one that leads to his palace.

I did not choose to live a life of potholes....But God has called me to a path that leads me to someplace wonderful...and I'm driving on that road, picking up as many passengers as I can on the way.  But yeah there is pain and their is heartache and there is struggle.  But I know my God.  I know that he is in everything I will have to face and I know that he is cheering me on.  I know, most of all, that he is good and that he loves me.  And, like the old hymn says, "Where He Leads me, I will follow"  Notice he LEADS...he goes ahead of me and he stands next to me and he's got my back too.
 
God is not the author of evil.  He doesn't get his jollies by causing me pain and hardship.  But he DOES crash Satan's party and he turns evil to good.  He gives benefit to my pain and he doesn't leave me to walk the road alone. He could eradicate pain altogether but then, how would Heaven hold such allure for us?  How would we learn about the trustworthiness and goodness and love of God?  How would we be such an example and encouragement to those who see our joy despite our pain?
 
Wide is the path (and free of potholes) that leads to destruction.  And narrow is the way that leads to salvation.  Many are those who choose the wide path, the easy path--and few are those who find the narrow path... But great will be their joy in the end.  And the wide path leads to a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth for eternity.  Once in his Kingdom, our past pains and sorrows will scarcely cause a ripple in the pond...they will be  a dim memory, but we will be so grateful for them for they taught us many lessons and they win for us crowns of glory.  

If you have pain and struggles put on your farsighted glasses...Myopia will not help you.  Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. Who, for the joy set before him, chose the cross, disregarding its shame. Look ahead to what is coming. And choose these "light and momentary struggles" and run with endurance the course set before us....for the high calling of the prize set before us. Pain is merely a blip on the radar.






No comments: