Saturday, April 14, 2018

As Close as my Shadow

This coming week I have oral surgery on Monday and on Friday am having a minor surgery to place a "mediport" which is a quasi--permanent intravenous line, used for people (like me) with little to no venous access.  After so many years of IV steroids and IV antibiotics, my veins are wrecked.  Normally a Mediport is used for cancer patients who have to be given highly toxic drugs and a mediport is the best way to administer these.  I have an IV infusion every 6-8 weeks for my PsA and the nurses have been really struggling to find a vein in me that is viable.  The last time I was there they put the IV into my pinkie...not a very secure site at all, but it was all they could find.

That, and dealing with the flood of MD bills I'm receiving from my hospital stay and from the infusions....and having to buy a new washer...and family needs for money...It's been a hard time financially.  Some of the medical bills are not correct and trying to straighten out that mess is frustrating, to say the least.

I've been leaning hard on God....so many prayer needs...so much to make me anxious and the only way I can tolerate it is to LEAN--to put it all in his lap and say "Can you take this burden and deal with it? Because I CAN'T."  It's so very good to know that nothing is too small...or too large..for Adonai to handle.  Nothing is beyond h is concern.  Everything that concerns me, concerns him.

I want to share a Scripture that I've been mulling over today.  It started in my "God Box" (a small box  of Scripture verses I look at daily. Often it has been the voice of God into my circumstances.  Of course it is not the only Scripture I read daily..but it is a very special one.) with just verse 5 but when I looked at it in context it grew even more wonderful:

121 I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade at your right hand.

The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore.

The Lord is as close as our shadow.*  Shades protect both from cold and heat...both from the heat of the day and the bitter cold at night*.  There is never a time when God is "off duty" for his children. 
"The Lord shall preserve you from all evil." --from the people who want to destroy our spirits; from accidents and from any other arrow from the enemy of our souls.  God  is my keeper...my guard, my provider, my healer,  my protection from every evil on earth or in hell.  Why would we ever refuse his protection and attempt to "do it ourselves?"  "Thanks but no thanks, God. I've got this."  Then when we are crushed by circumstance we shake our fists at God and blame him for our trouble. 

When things are overwhelming it is so important to find our rest in God.  It is our only sure defense.  And this does not only apply to circumstance...it also covers toxic people who do their best to make and keep us miserable. HE is our defender.  Our keeper...guarding our hearts against the damage done by words and hatred.

I needed this reminder today.  Things are coming at me from all the above.  He is my shade...my umbrella.  My Comforter..My protection.

*These two statements were taken from "The Treasury of David" by Charles Haddon Spurgeon's notes on this particular Psalm..

No comments: