Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Loving God

Every day I get a Scripture passage delivered to my email....and this is today's verse:

God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

 I had to question myself after reading that...I asked, "Do I love God?"  This is an important question --we must absolutely be sure of the answer to it.  Do I NOT do some things out of love for God?  Do I DO other things because I love him?  You might think this is a stupid exercise, but really ask yourself these questions.  When you put your offering into the plate at church, do you do it with a heart full of love for God?  When you say no to the offer of some more dessert--do you do it out of love for God, to please him?  Or do you do it out of love for self and how you look in your jeans?  The Bible says "Whatever you do, what ever you eat or drink, do it all for the glory of God."  why?  Because you love him.

Do I patiently endure testing and temptation?  Well sometimes...I endure pain....because I have to.  But do I do it out of love for God?  What about the  temptation to finish the last doughnut? Do I endure that temptation.....because I love God.?  Or do I gratify self?  Do I use my pain to gratify self and get others to feel badly for me?

I don't know about you folks....but I need a fine tuning  My baseline, home plate position must be one of love for God so that every act I do, every experience I experience is centered around my love for God.  Because if it's not, I'm here for my SELF and not for God...and I don' t want to go where that leads.

No comments: