Monday, July 12, 2010

Working through Pain

Today's wake up was a "groaner"...Not because I was tired and didn't want to get up; but because my body hurt at every single joint and then some. I spent two hours in bed past my normal time to get up, simply because my body wouldn't get up. On some days like this, if I wait it out in the morning...for a couple of hours, the stiffness and pain will calm down. This morning I took a morphine pill and something called "Norco"- both of which the doctor had just prescribed instead of the meds I had been taking... That was about 3 hours ago...and I don't feel any better.

I DID manage to crawl into the shower, hoping that the warm water would loosen things up a bit,...and maybe it did somewhat, but I am still struggling with the decision of whether or not to go for the walk that I've instituted into my daily routine. I've been really trying to incorporate some exercise into my days...and have been watching what I eat; have established a calorie limit and so far, (most days) have stuck to it. Since the doctor has changed (at my insistence) my psych meds around, to eliminate the ones that have made me PILE on the weight (close to 80 p0unds in a year!); I have been able to lose 45 pounds thus far. While I am feeling much better in that regard, I am determined to get to a really healthy weight. I can't stand the feeling of weighing too much and not having any control over it! It didn't seem to matter how much or how little I ate, while on those meds, the weight just kept growing more and more out of control.

So far, I've been able to go off of my blood pressure medications. I think my blood sugar readings are much better now too, because they had been getting to a worrisome height when I weighed so much. Now to "attack" these saggy muscles and to try to rebuild some endurance and flexibility once more. I'd gotten so stiff from not being able to move, that it was adding to my pain.

But today; my body is protesting. And I don't know whether I should "push through" the pain and do some exercise anyway, or whether I should listen to my screaming joints and give it a break. It's not like I have been overly demanding on it and this is why it is hurting. I've been pretty cautious about what I do and have tried to be patient with it as it is slowly learning to move again.

Maybe I'll wait a while and see how I feel later in the day. I just hope that my morning motivation doesn't fly out of the window also.

No comments: