Monday, October 28, 2013

In the Storms of Life


Daily I get a verse from Scripture delivered to my email from KLOVE  (KLOV FM a Christian radio station which can be listened to online at KLOV.com.  )

Today I read the following 
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he brought them out of their distress. 
 He stilled the storm to a whisper;
    the waves of the sea were hushed. 

When I read that I thought it must come from the Gospels' account of the disciples facing the storm in their ship on the Sea of Galilee....however I was astonished to read the "address" of the verse is Psalm 107:28-29!   So I went to that chapter to read it in it's entirety.   I just want to share with you some of the verses I found in that chapter:


Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
14 He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness,
    and broke away their chains.
15 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
    and his wonderful deeds for mankind,
16 for he breaks down gates of bronze
    and cuts through bars of iron.
17 Some became fools through their rebellious ways
    and suffered affliction because of their iniquities.
18 They loathed all food
    and drew near the gates of death.
19 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
20 He sent out his word and healed them;
    he rescued them from the grave.
21 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
    and his wonderful deeds for mankind.
22 Let them sacrifice thank offerings
    and tell of his works with songs of joy.

I have to say that my life must have been in God's mind when he wrote these words in the heart and mind of the Psalmist.  I suffered horribly from clinical depression--a literal prison complete with shackles and darkness. I couldn't eat...didn't WANT to eat and I approached death through that problem. I was locked in the prisons of psychiatric wards where I was literally locked into those prisons.  And yes.  God set me free.

And since those years, storm after storm has rocked my ship.  Financial problems, illness, disability,
---All storms and one after another have led me to cry out "Lord HELP me!"  and one by one, deliverance came.  Right now, my husband's life is in peril due to terrible heart disease.  And I struggle with two autoimmune diseases (Sjogrens has just be added to my list of problems) and because of this my vision is in peril....and I may  soon  be in deepest darkness...Right now our septic system is having expensive problems....and we (I) cry out "LORD HELP US!!"

And I know without a doubt, that the God who took me from prison in the past, will once again "ride the winds to help me"  He is my SAVIOR.  my REDEEMER.  Saving people  from their personal prisons. From the habits that keep them in bondage.  From one stormy sea to another...he comes, speaks a word...and the winds still , the waves calm.

This passage enjoins us, once God has freed us, to PRAISE His holy name.  And to speak to others of the deliverance he brings.  So that is why I am writing this post.  God is first and foremost: our deliverer.  It brings him joy to rescue us.  All he is waiting for is the sound of our voice as we cry to him in distress....and then, he comes running.  The father who waits for the sound of the prodigal's voice....and he comes running.

He has delivered me COUNTLESS times.  When I can't find something...I cry out to him and right then and there he shows me where it is.  Daily. He comes to my rescue in the smallest of problems...to the ones that jeopardizes our craft in the waves of a stormy sea. 

Are you in peril?  Is your day shrouded in darkness?  Call out to him. He is in the business of redemption.  He only waits -- eagerly-- for your voice.  Cry out to him. 

And friend...when that deliverance comes?  Thank him  From the depths of your heart...sing and shout your thanks to him.  Tell your friends...tell anyone who will listen.  And then in your next  crisis? You know where to go.  You know what to do.  But you know what? no friend likes to be Used.  Don't just bring him your disasters and quandaries.   Tell him about your day.  Talk to him all the time.  Thank him for every single good thing in your life.  And keep talking to your friends. Tell them of your Redeemer...your Deliverer... The One who Saves you.

Here is a link to a song sung by Meredith Andrews  Take a listen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoh26pC2RT8

No comments: