Monday, December 10, 2012

A Prophet and a Prayer


16 I trembled inside when I heard this;
    my lips quivered with fear.
My legs gave way beneath me,[d]
    and I shook in terror.
I will wait quietly for the coming day
    when disaster will strike the people who invade us.
17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
    and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
    and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
    and the cattle barns are empty,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
    I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength!
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer,[e]
    able to tread upon the heights.
 
Habakkuk prayed this prayer waiting in terror for the judgement of the Lord to fall.  And in verses 17-19 he spoke words that would be classic.  Today I read a blog written by a woman with Addison's Disease who was once again going through deep waters.  And in the comments, a woman  listed simply as "Carmen" quoted these verses and then wrote her own version for her own circumstances.  I was struck by that and thought that I too, would like to attempt this.

Even though its winter and sidewalks are ice-covered
and many people are unemployed.
Even though finances shrink and bills abound,
Even though I now am having more surgery
Which will keep me from being able to produce ANYTHING
and will prevent me from exercising indoors or out
Even though pain will escalate and sleep will flee
YET I will rejoice in the Lord,, the one who saves me!
I will be jubilant in the Care of the Father Eternal!
It is HE who gives me strength! 

It is HE who determines my weight and way and strength.
And whether or not I can walk or run,
He will make me surefooted as I maneuver my way
Amongst the challenges I will face as I walk this path.

http://www.stolenwoman.blogspot.com/2012/12/urgent-care-steroids-and-antibiotics.html This is the link to the blog from where I stole this idea.
 

No comments: