Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Recognized

Here is one of the verses for the day, that I received in my email today:
Acts 4:13New Living Translation (NLT)
13 The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.
This verse smacked me "upside the head" this morning.  When I read it I saw mostly in italics, bold faced and hi-lited in yellow the last sentence.  And then came the voice of conscience (ie: the Holy Spirit) "When people see you do they recognize you as a woman who has been with Jesus?" 

This past Sunday was the first Sunday I'd attended my church in a long while.  (I have to wait until my loneliness and boredom supersedes the recollection of the pain I encountered in my last visit before I summon the nerve to try again).  I was literally writhing in my seat from the pain which shot from the base of my skull all the way down to my seat.  It was complete torture.  But still the pastor's words cut through.  He was preaching on 1 Cor. 13 and talking about how we love those around us.  He spent quite a few minutes outlining for us what constitutes rude (ie: Unloving) behavior.

 And yep...I saw myself there.  Being a bad listener.  Not looking at someone as they speak to me and continuing to do what I was doing rather than to stop and give the person my attention.  My husband has complained about this a number of times.   I saw it simply as "multitasking" and saw nothing wrong with it.  But lately, because it bothers him so much I have been making a concerted effort to stop typing, Stop washing the dishes, stop doing what ever I was doing...and to look at him as he speaks.  While I am not yet at a hundred percent, I have made strides in defeating this bad habit.  I don't know though whether my husband has noticed my efforts or not.  But I AM TRYING.

Yes I saw myself in a number of the types of rude behavior the pastor spoke about.  I know people are put off by my behavior at times.  But it's never anything I recognize until the damage is done and the friends have moved on.

"They will know we are Christians by our love" says the song based on the Scripture.  In other words, they will recognize us as Jesus' kids, or Jesus-woman or Jesus-men by our behavior toward one another.  A man once told me as he gave me a ride home. "There are takers and there are givers."  This really struck me because, largely due to my medical problems, I have been forced into a "taking posture" rather than a giving one.  What CAN I do for people?  I can remember their special days and at least send an email. If they have needs or heartache, I can pray and I can call them on the phone.  I can call to say hi---not only call when I have a need.

Honestly, there isn't a heck of a lot I can do.  But I can do what I can.
How else would a Jesus' follower act?  With honesty and integrity.  In all of my dealings and doings, am I honest?  Do I ever lie? Even a "white" lie?  What kind of movies do I watch; books do I read, music do I listen to? This doesn't mean that I can only read Christian books; only listen to Christian music or watch only Christian movies....but I am called to hold a high standard with the types of things with which I fill my mind.

Do I remind others of my Lord Jesus?  When they see me, do they see Jesus?
Some good questions to ponder.

No comments: