Sunday, March 20, 2016

Diamonds in Sunlight


 I am dumbfounded.  Today I read a devotional by Rev. John Piper (https://www.biblegateway.com/devotionals/john-piper-devotional/next ) where he describes an experience that TO A "T" is similar to one that I had a couple of weeks ago.  I was sleeping and just as I was waking I had the sense that I was dying.  Right then. Right there.  And I panicked.  My life was pathetic. I had not accomplished anything of worth. I had to stand before God with nothing in my hands but sin and futile attempts to please Him.  I was engulfed in terror and hopelessness.

Then ...brilliantly  like a diamond in sunlight....came the understanding that I am not saved by ANYTHING other than the completeness of Jesus's sacrifice for me.  He is my payment.  He is my complete obedience; my shining righteousness.  Jesus accomplished all that was necessary for me to face God in the Judgement.  His work is all that is necessary, indeed, all that is valid.  No matter what I might have accomplished in this life, it would be but dung in the light of God's holiness. Sin taints everything I undertake; everything I attempt to accomplish.  I am in desperate need of a Savior.  One who is perfect, sinless, has the power over death and who  thinks that I am worth saving.

Praise God I have that!!!

When I got out of bed that morning I was stunned and profoundly grateful.  I do not think that I have ever appreciated Jesus more.  I had never really understood how badly I need him. I can die in peace knowing that my sufficiency is in Him and Him alone. And that is enough.

No comments: