Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Look for the Lovely

The other day I found out that I'd  won a free hour long session with a life coach. She has a blog I follow online and recently held a contest to win an hour long session with her.

Here is something I was thinking about this AM sparked by a blog I read here:

I struggled recently --thinking, "Maybe this is just the way I am....and possibly the way I"m going to be." I am frequently on high doses of steroids and every bout with steroids is good for a 5-20 pound weight gain....Maybe I cannot control that. Maybe the best I can hope for is to re-lose the new weight gained after the last round of steroids....that way I can avoid morbid obesity and just stay at "obese"....Do I want that? no. But I've got to get to the point where I stop hating myself for something that is beyond my control....

It's okay to be on a journey.  But we can really miss a lot of beautiful scenery and joy if all we can think about is the "are we there yet??" question children ask.  Maybe that is a sign of emotional immaturity.  Maybe someone who has been around the block a few times knows that there is something to be said for finding happiness where ever it is you are.

It is not "settling" and sabotaging my weight loss.  I will continue the journey whether or not I lose weight. I must celebrate the small gains (losses) and find joy in the fact that I can get a size smaller pants on.  Chances are good (for me, due to medical issues) that that victory will be short  lived.  But that doesn't mean that  I should condemn myself or give up.

I need to get to the point where I'm okay NO MATTER WHAT THE SCALE SAYS.  The scale should NOT have the power to drain the beauty and joy out of my day. Just like a passing  cloud covering the sun for a minute does not ruin a nice day....neither should my weight for that day matter or be given power it should not have. I am a person, created by God, given challenges such as poor health and excess weight but also given many other benefits and blessings....THESE should be my focus.
 Here is a verse that says it all:'

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Look for the Lovely.  Look in the MIRROR for the lovely!

No comments: