Monday, October 7, 2013

King over the Storm

LORD--you made the storm we had today.  The  fierce wind was your breath, the howling: your voice. The deluge: your tears purging us from all self satisfaction.  The fear of falling trees and flooding basements send me scrambling for Mark4  when Jesus slept through the storm on the boat and when his panicked disciples wakened him his words were: "Guys, WHERE IS YOUR FAITH???"  Chagrined but not yet comforted fully my fingers fly to Psalm 91.
Psalm 91. "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: he alone is my refuge, my place of safety. He is my God, I will trust Him....Do not dread the diisaster that strikes at midday...."
 Ahhh there is the comfort I needed, the challenge to cling harder, trust more, to leave fear in the dust,  He alone is my place of safety.
 
Who is this God?  The God who rips apart the heavens to make us cling to him...to him alone.
He is the God who when I've lost something, big or small, important or not....When I turn to him and ask him to show me where it is.  My  friends : ALWAYS, without exception,...My eyes will light on the object or words will come to my mind telling me where to find it. My God...the God who governs with those he's placed in Power...God moves me to accomplish his designs...The God who heals and helps...He is not too busy or too arrogant to be willing to open my eyes to my lost item. 

He is Lord over every detail. He is the God who runs to help me (or rides the winds to help me as Scripture says) . Why does he do this? He is not my go-fer.  He does it because he loves me and he loves hearing my "thank you" oozing with delighted amazement that yet again he shows me his love tucked away with my recovered object.

God I want to know you. Not just these little demonstrations of affection---I want to see your glory. I want to know you intimately.  I want to get to the place where you needn't ask me "Daughter,where is your faith?"  I want to glow with your presence.  I want to be a sweet fragrance to your nostrils as I lift  my hands in prayer.  Lord teach me to pray.  Bring me into your presence.  Help me to love because without love it amounts to nothing.  I want to look like you.  I want people to look at me and say to each other: "She's his daughter."  Fill me, mold me, carve me, hammer and chisel me.
I want to bring you joy.



 

No comments: