Saturday, January 19, 2013

The "Who" of Suffering: a review of 'A Glorious Ruin'


Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You FreeGlorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free by Tullian Tchividjian
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Replete with examples and quotes from a multiplicity of sources, Tchividjian has written a masterfull treatise on suffering.  Focusing not on the "Why" of suffering but on the "Who" Pastor Tchividjian has reiterated his message from his former book "Jesus+NOthing=Everything".  The good news?  Gospel.  Suffering falls by the wayside in the light of the wonder of what Christ has accomplished for us on the cross.

However, I found this book much harder to follow than the previously mentioned book of this Pastor.  It's message was less clear and it's impact more subdued.  The other book left me wanting to dance....and wanting to quote him all over the place....This book less so.  It was more obtuse, more cluttered and more roundabout.  Nevertheless I was not unhappy to have spent the couple days I spent reading it.  He revealed more to me about the book of Job than I had previously grasped and the last chapter, when he spoke of the coming of the kingdom of heaven and how that will instantly vaporize all of our prior sufferings gave me hope in light of the constant pain I suffer.  As Paul said, "these present sufferings will be as nothing in light of the glory to come."  He offered a number of quotes to reinforce that idea and I so look forward to a day when this life of pain is a distant memory: "A blip on my radar."

All in all the book makes a welcome addition to my collection on the topic of suffering.


View all my reviews

No comments: