Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Paranoid LIfe

I'm reading a book called Illusion, by Frank Peretti.  The story is intriguing and the characters likable.  The problem is that there are these people who are --well, mysterious, and it's not clear whether they are purely evil or whether they have something else motivating them.  I read the book for a good portion of today and finally had to put it aside, shaking.  You see you can't tell in the book who can be trusted and who is evil.  And one person after another is revealed to be  "in on it"...some huge secret/mystery of which the reader and the main characters are innocent.  It got to me.  It got to me badly, because now I'm examining my life, wondering who's in on it here too.

I finally got into bed and put earbuds on blasting my favorite playlist.  But the thoughts won't be silenced.  The phone rang.  I jumped three feet in the air.  (Our phone doesn't ring all that often). It was an unknown male voice, asking for me.  That alone is suspect.  Any stranger calling here would definitely want to speak to Eric not me.  Then I thought, "Maybe something's happened to Eric and this is the police calling to inform me."

"Who is this?" I demanded.

The man said something in an unintelligible accent.  Something about "I can save you money".I said, "I'm not interested"and started to hang up. Then the man said, "  you live at XXXXXXXX? right?"  And I said ,
"No, they changed our address when 911 came."   So the man said ,'Oh, what is your new address?"  I said to him, "Who are you and how do I know you are who you say you are?"
He said, 'Ma'am. this is the electric company " (and he named the company)....He then proceeded to ask me a ton of questions about my house.  Which I answered, simply because I couldn't bring myself to be rude enough to hang up, even though I was shaking.  After I hung up, the doubts and fear came.

What if that wasn't the electric company?....And now they  know not only where I live but the complete makeup of our house and how many people live here....

Now  some teeny deeply buried part of me knows--or at least suspects--that these are not legitimate worries. But ALL of the rest of me is in a complete panic.
Thanks Frank.

No comments: