Saturday, November 10, 2018

November Gfts, Part 2 of 3

I want to continue in my quest for a grateful heart.  Gratitude and giving thanks are major themes in Scripture.  There are few things as awful as giving a person great and marvelous gifts....and to receive no thanks.  Jesus at one point healed ten lepers and only one of them returned to give thanks.  Jesus expressed--surprise? dismay? curiosity? sadness?  He noted the 9 lepers who did not return and asked "did I not heal ten of you? Where are the other nine?"And it is worth noting that the one who did return to give thanks and praise God at Jesus' feet was a foreigner...not a Jew, one of God's Chosen people. (Luke 17:11-19)

 Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe Hebrews 12:28 NLT

This passage in Hebrews speaks of our salvation and our membership to the Kingdom of God and it makes it clear that, not only is it right that we thank God for this incomparable gift, it is also pleasing to God.  As parents we know how precious the gratitude of our children is....and sadly many people know what it is like to raise an ungrateful childdd.  How can we bring this pain to the heart of the Father to casually accept good things from His hands without thanks and yet complain when we do not like what comes our way?

It takes some effort to lose the ingratitude in our hearts.  Each day...look for things with  which God has gifted you.  THANK Him for them!  Have a close call? May the first words out of your mouth not be cursing but a wholehearted "THANK YOU, JESUS!"

Continuing below are days 10-20 of my month of gratitude.  I challenge you to come up with 30 days of thanks..or perhaps one whole day where  you consciously thank God for every single gift it contains.  Take note of the changes that occur in your heart as a result.

*****************************
November 10: Thankful for a little silver companion, our cat Mayo...she is a great snuggler and very good company on long days without seeing any one else.
*****************************
November 11th:  Today is Veteran's Day.  It is also my 29th anniversary.  So I would like to thank God for each member of the armed forces who have fought in wars to protect the cause of freedom.  Who have sacrificed time with their young families and many times, endured injury in the course of this pursuit. A heartfelt thank you from me to you!
And I thank God for my husband who has remained in our marriage despite some really hard times due to my illnesses - both mental and physical.  Thank you Eric. 
*****************************
November 13th:  I am rejoicing with my daughter and thanking God for his provision. After a period of hard times and unemployment, she got a job with a Fortune 500 company and successfully navigated mass transit today for her training...despite some real anxiety over the commute. Thank you Jesus!
*****************************
November 14th:  I recently purchased an electric wheelchair and yesterday went to the mall with my dad to get some practice using it and to test its battery life.  I couldn't be more pleased...it worked well, except for the nut holding the joystick(!).  This will be a great blessing to me.. I hope it lasts for years to come.
*****************************
November 15th:  Grateful for a warm, dry house as our first winter storm rages outside.
*****************************
November 16th:  Grateful that my daughter will now have a safe car to drive since my dad got a new car and gave her his old one.
*****************************
November 1 7th:  I am grateful for my power recliner/lift chair. I have a really hard time getting off of a seat. This chair helps with that....plus I can recline--taking the weight off of my spine--with the touch of a button. Thank you Lord...and thanks to the people who contributed money so that I could purchase it. 
*****************************
November 18th: (got bypassed) Grateful for God's Word available to us in every conceivable form...God reaching out to mankind so as to be known.
*****************************
November 19th: I might complain about my little house...no closets, no room for a wheelchair etc., but it is more than 3/4 of the world could even dream of. Thankful for  heat and plumbing and clean water.
****************************
November 30th:  Grateful for my pastor.  A man of God who is also a good friend.  Thankful for all his hospital and home visits to me.  Thankful for his love for God and for the Spirit who fills him.

No comments: