Friday, June 22, 2018

Down in the Valley

It has been a hard week. Almost six weeks ago we had a power outage that disabled our refrigerator.  We have a  total home warranty.  I'll spare you the blow by blow. Suffice it to say that it was impossible to speak to anyone who had any authority to really help us. We waited SIX WEEKS until we finally got the technician here to fix it yesterday.  

This whole thing meant that we had to eat out once a day and save leftovers for our dinner. That was an expense we could have done without.  Also add to that the loss of all the food in a full fridge and freezer....that's an enormous expense.

Top all that off with a week of increased pain and stiffness, especially in my ankles and shoulder and hands (and let's not forget the neck :)  )  and it has been a challenge to accomplish anything other than lying in my bed or recliner. 

It is so hard to maintain our fervor or our acceleration of passion isn't it?  In the post "I Thirst" I described a recent increase in my hunger to really know Jesus as he is portrayed in Scripture.  I confess that having been brought up in an Evangelical church, I cut my teeth on the Gospels. I know many of Jesus' words by heart.  And you know when you know something since you were a kid, it is really hard to keep it new and fresh isn't it?  But I have found that really going slowly and asking questions of God and seeking the answers has given me a new perspective and the taste that I have so far, spurs me to continue.

I was always kind of jealous of people who came to Christ in 20's and above...they could see dramatic changes in their lives.  They are filled with joy rather than "humdrumnimity."
When they come out of the waters of baptism they leap and shout for joy.  Me? I just wiped the water from my eyes and went looking for a towel.  Please don't take this to imply that it wasn't a profound experience for me...it was...but my emotions were not as near to the surface as were the others I described.

So when I study the Bible and things start to click for me; when God works in breathtaking ways; or whenever my passion is revived by God's giving me a glimpse of his glory--it excites me and awakens that "thirst" I mentioned, and it makes me want to pray more fervently and do nothing but study my Bible.  But sadly....even fervor pales if we do not keep the fire stoked.

The thing to do, I think, when faced by these "on again; off again" times of intimacy is to kind of accept them, in the sense that it is very hard for a fire to burn without dying down to hot ashes....but what is important is not to beat ourselves up over it--but most importantly--we should make very certain that in this normal period of lesser heat, we must keep our faith habits going.  Do not slack off in prayer (somehow it is easy to think that God is displeased with us for our "temperature fluctuation"  He is not.  It is a lie of Satan to cause you to misinterpret God.)  So keep praying.  And keep reading/studying.  Maybe seek out some new ministers to listen to online. (and you know you need to avoid the 50:1 charlatans that are out there who just want you to send them all your money.)  

Another suggestion.  Find someone to meet with and pray with regularly.  (try to stick with the policy of choosing someone of the same sex as  you are to avoid complications).  Pray for each other; pray for your families; pray for your church; and pray for our nation.  Be honest with each other about the struggle to remain hot in this ice box of a world.   I have had prayer partners like this all my adult life and it has helped me greatly to be encouraged to keep praying and working through my drop in fervor.  You will share a special bond with each other that will last for the rest of your days on Earth

Keep up your spiritual disciplines ...there are a number of these disciplines and I think the most helpful book out of all the books on the subject is
by Richard Foster Celebration of Discipline.
I have found it impossible not to feel passion and enthusiasm once again after re-visiting that book. I highly recommend it.

Accept these valleys.  But do not camp there... keep heading for the high lands.  Keep your equipment ready at hand and do not forget that God is going to work to bring you once again to your "hind's feet in High Places." You are equipped to climb the heights if you persist. Jeremiah 29:13 says this:
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.(NASB)
Be blessed!














No comments: