Saturday, January 6, 2018

Some Favorite Passages from the Prophets

 
   Most of these passages are well known and much loved by God's people...Don't let their familiarity blind you to the amazing messages written by men who had difficult lives. Delivering dire news to God's people did not make them popular.  But the responses of these prophets reveal the loving heart of the God they served.

Jeremiah 29:11-14

For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.’
 Lamentations 3:19-27

Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and bitterness. 
Surely my soul remembers
And is bowed down within me
This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail. 
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I have hope in Him.” 
The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
To the person who seeks Him.
It is good that he waits silently
For the salvation of the Lord.
It is good for a man that he should bear
The yoke in his youth.



 Habakkuk 3:16-19 NASB

And in my place I tremble.
Because I must wait quietly for the day of distress,
For the people to arise who will invade us.
Though the fig tree should not blossom
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the Lord,
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. 
 The Lord God is my strength,
And He has made my feet like hinds’ feet,
And makes me walk on my high places.

Isaiah 40:28-31(NASB)
Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth
Does not become weary or tired.
His understanding is inscrutable.
He gives strength to the weary,
And to him who lacks might He increases power.
Though youths grow weary and tired,
And vigorous young men stumble badly, 
Yet those who wait for the Lord
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.
 
Isaiah 45:2-3

“I will go before you and make the rough places smooth;
I will shatter the doors of bronze and cut through their iron bars. 
“I will give you the treasures of darkness
And hidden wealth of secret places,
So that you may know that it is I,
The Lord, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.


No comments: