Saturday, November 11, 2017

Diamonds in the Dust

Diamonds in the Dust: 366 Sparkling DevotionsDiamonds in the Dust: 366 Sparkling Devotions by Joni Eareckson Tada




Although the "end date" in Goodreads is for today, Nov. 11th, in truth I've been reading this book online for the past year through BibleGateway.com as one of their featured devotions and will finish on the New Year. I have owned and sadly, given away this book because now reading it again, I have been blown away by the depths of Joni's theology and perceptiveness to the spiritual realms. Joni truly is seated with God in the heavenlies although right now she is seated within the confines of a broken body and a wheelchair. Although currently I'm only in my wheelchair part time, in the recent past I've spent some years there myself. And chronic/mind blowing pain is my daily bread also. Joni's thoughts on suffering, while cogent and profound--are surpassed by her thoughts on God; his glory, his love for us and ours for him, and what it means to be a foreigner in a foreign land. These thoughts are the thoughts of someone who spends a lot of time in the presence of God in meditation and also in the challenges of a difficult life.

Although the book is simple to read, the ideas it contains are deep and wide. I would place this book among my top two favorite devotionals...(the other being My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers). My year with Joni is drawing to a close and I will move on to another devotional, but I'm sure that I will come back again to this lovely tree planted by the streams of water that shall never run dry and its flower will not fade.



View all my reviews

No comments: