Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Back in the Game

It's been a while since I've written.  I want to tell you about a night out that I had the other day.  I belong to the C&MA (Christian and Missionary Alliance) denomination and some months ago I learned that the president of the denomination, Dr John Stumbo, was going to be in our area and speaking.  I determined way back then, based on something (Someone) inside me that compelled me and told me that it would be important for me to attend this meeting.  It turned out that the Pastor of my church extended an invitation to the congregation to carpool and make the hour long drive to the meeting...so I told him I wanted to go.

Now, it was not an easy commitment to make.  It would involve, you see, a number of hours being vertical.  Why is that important?  I have severe spine and neck problems and being vertical after about an hour, causes me a lot of pain.  But I left that in God's hands because  I felt that it was God impressing on me the need to attend....and therefore had to trust that, somehow, he would make a way.  

It turned out that there were four of us attending that night.  The meeting started at 6:00.   There was a worship team from one of the local Alliance churches and I have to say that it has been a LONG time since I'd experienced anything like that.  If you do not have a relationship with Jesus,  I know that you have nothing in your realm of experience to be able to understand the power of what I'm talking about...so just humor me when I say that it was simply awesome.  


And Pastor Stumbo's talk that night was extremely interesting.  He talked about the things that have been happening globally in regard to political upheaval and natural disasters.  And his main message was: we do not have to fear these things.  God will use them to further his purposes for this planet.  And it is in times of hardship when the Gospel and God's Kingdom is advanced.  He talked about his recent trip to Puerto Rico and the devastation he witnessed there after the hurricane a month or so ago.  He talked about churches who had lost everything, still working to serve others.  He talked about people taking notice of this and the fact that it pointed them to the God whom these churches and individuals served and God's Kingdom advances.

Pastor Stumbo is no stranger to suffering. Although some mention was made of his history, no one went into any detail.  Well, yesterday I purchased his two books on my Kindle (links to his books are provided at the end of the post) and read from morning until bedtime, his account of a horrific illness he'd had which almost claimed his life numerous times.  Doctors have not ever determined exactly what strain of bacteria or virus it was that was behind this but it was a dramatic story of his YEARS of illness and slow recovery....However, even after he'd gotten a bit better, he was unable to swallow and had a feeding tube inserted into his stomach into which they poured a formula three times a day in order to keep him alive.  Now I have not  yet reached this point in my reading but I knew from my pastor, that God dramatically healed him, after years of not being able to swallow his saliva or any liquid or food for years.  

The thing which really compelled me to read his story so eagerly was the parallel between his story and mine and perhaps also between any other person who has suffered chronic illness and pain....the depression...the perceived alienation from God...and then the amazing sweetness of discovering that God has not abandoned us, and this discovery can come even  if healing does not.  God will not abandon the work of his hands, and even if it seems like he's taken a vacation, there comes the assurance of his constant presence and attention.

This was a pastor of a church of thousands and,later, the president of an entire denomination of hundreds (or more) of churches....and he was sunk into despair for quite a time as God laid him aside and apparently took his ministry away as he had to resign from his job as head pastor of Salem Alliance Church where thousands worshiped weekly. He questioned God....and for a long time...received nothing but silence.  I can understand this.  While I did not minister to thousands, I did have a ministry in my church and had to be put on a back burner so that people could take over who were able physically (and mentally) to do the work I'd been forced to abandon.

Recently, after years of absence, I've decided that pain is not going to win this "game"....I've begun to attend church again despite the crushing going on in my spine and the throbbing pain in my ankles, hands, hips and wrists.  This night out was, for me, a first. It was the first activity I'd been to and the first time I'd been out after 6 PM in many years.  I've had to stand by while other women went on retreats, on trips to Lancaster County, and met for ladies' Bible Study.  Church-wide events passed without me.  And it has gotten to the place where at least half of the congregation are strangers to me....

My church annually holds a Family Fall Fun Festival in our neighborhood...where the public is invited to a day of autumn fun: hay rides, cider pressing, a bounce house, dunking for apples, face painting, candy and more.  The entire event is free, including hot dogs and more to eat.  We've had about 600 people attending from the community and it is a great way to get to know our neighbors.  Well this year, I've been asked if I would be willing to man the "Prayer Tent"...which is a tent where anyone attending who has a need for prayer may go and be prayed for.  I'm a bit nervous about it. I can tend to be tongue-tied and anxious when I speak.  But I agreed without any hesitation because I know that God is calling me to do this. I know that 'what he brings us to, he will also bring us through.'  I know that it will be a painful day.  The Festival is 4 hours long and while I know that if I have to leave, that will be okay; I'm pretty determined to stick it out.

This is the beginning of a new season for me.  It is my decision to participate as much as possible in the life of my church.  I do not drive any longer so I am limited by that---But as much as I am able, I plan on being in the game.  I've seen about enough of the sidelines, it's time to uniform up and start getting on to the field once more.

DR. JOHN STUMBO's books:
https://www.amazon.com/Honest-Look-Mysterious-Journey-ebook/dp/B008O8WPA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507624945&sr=8-1&keywords=john+stumbo 

https://www.amazon.com/Midst-Treasures-Dark-Stumbo-Paperback/dp/B00NICFJIA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507624945&sr=8-3&keywords=john+stumbo 

No comments: