Saturday, September 30, 2017

And without Love, we have Nothing

I did it.  I sank to the levels of popular tide.  If you have come here looking for the blog I posted earlier today, you will not find it.  I adjured others to love, without being loving myself.  I "analyzed the situation" but I did nothing to improve it.  In short I was doing exactly what "everyone else" is doing and that is precisely why I am not happy with myself right now. 

I apologize to Dr Katz--who is a friend and who deserved better treatment.  We may disagree on some things, but the fact that we are friends should have flown right over those bumps in the road.  I still consider him a good friend and I hope he can over look and forgive someone whose mouth sometimes gets ahead of her brains and heart.

And to everyone else that I blasted, I'm truly sorry.  More of the same will not right the wrongs or problems in our society. More analysis, more accusations, more defensiveness etc. It will take something else to stem the tide and safe society from itself. Only the love of God is powerful enough for that.  And if we don't bring that to the table first of all and end with it last of all, we will not accomplish anything but to kick up more dust.  

Sometimes when the problem is diffuse and widespread it is hard to know how to LOVE others - especially others that we believe to be at fault.  And we can stop right there because if we have not spent time on our knees for our country, if we have not spoken in love in discussions with others with whom we may disagree...if we have not refused to sink to the level of accusation and finger pointing...then we have failed the acid test of loving others and treating them the way we would like to be treated.  Why not get out of bed with the motivation of loving 5 people or groups of people that day.  Be creative.  Think of how disarmed they will feel when they see you reaching, not for their jugular but for their hand...to shake or hold.  And love like that is contagious ...it will certainly accomplish more than more rhetoric.

So I confess.  I failed to love.  Even while having the nerve to tell OTHERS to love.

Thus, I pulled my article and started a new one.  I hope you will take my "Love 5 ways" challenge.  And remember, it has to be aimed at people with whom you take issue...not your kids (they should be getting lots of love already, right?)  The expression "Pay it forward " is popular....but the fact is we are not merely investing in building up a base of people who "owe us one"...the best love is like God's : Free. Unconditional.  Eternal, Unshakeable.  

I challenge you --children of God, and those who might like to know more about what that means--to ask God to open your heart to his Love and to show you how to put it into effect in your daily life.

No comments: