Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Two Poems and Why I need them

Today and yesterday were days when you wonder how anyone can survive them.  I had put off my shoulder replacement surgery but had many second doubts.  I went for Pre-surgical Testing on Monday.  Then on Tuesday went to see my endocrinologist and she called the hospital for my lab reports.  She returned with a grim face and told me that my MRSA culture was positive.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with MRSA it is a staph infection that is unresponsive to almost every antibiotic and once you have it you may not be able to be rid of it.

I've had it three times prior to this and grimace at the thought of a PICC line in my arm and 6 weeks of potent antibiotics.  Worse however was the realization that my surgery site - had I gone ahead with it-- would very likely be compromised by the MRSA and the results could be deadly.  Next worst off is the verdict proclaimed by my rheumatolgist yesterday.  NO more biologic drugs for me.  Which means basically....well...lets just say it's a very gloomy out look of more and more joints failing and pain increasing...and not a dag blamed thing I can do about it.

Tonight however I was thinking of two verses by my favorite poet.William Cowper.

Here they are...they may seem long but stick with it.



Exhortation to Prayer
William Cowper
What various hindrances we meet
In coming to the Mercy Seat!
Yet who that knows the worth of prayer
But wishes to be often there.

Prayer makes the darkened clouds withdraw,
Prayer climbs the ladder Jacob saw,
Gives exercise to faith and love
Brings every blessing from above.

Restraining prayer we cease to fight,
Prayer makes the Christian's armor bright.
And Satan trembles when he sees
The weakest saint upon his knees

While Moses stood with arms spread wide
Success was found on Israel's side
But when through weariness they fell
That moment Amalek prevailed

 Have you no words? Ah! think again!
Words flow apace when  you complain,
And fill your fellow-creature's ear
with the sad tale of all your care.

Were half the breath thus vainly spent
To Heaven in supplication sent
Your cheerful song shall oftener  be
"Hear what the Lord has done for me!"



Light Shining  out of Darkness
God moves in mysterious way
His wonders to  perform
He plants his footsteps by the sea
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never -failing skill,
He treasures up his bright designs,
And works his sovereign will.

Ye fearful  saints, fresh courage take,
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan his work in vain;
God is his own interpreter
And he will make it plain.

No comments: