Sunday, September 1, 2013

When we should boast

This past week has been the week celebrating (or honoring) people who have invisible illnesses.  You may notice that this post is differently than it was originally.  I had re-read my initial post and realized that it sounded very unloving  and it sounded like I was looking down on those who were being honored and I came down hard on those who organized the week's events.  I would like to offer heartfelt apologies.  You know words are so important.  They can heal and they can hurt.  I'm afraid that my initial words did more hurting than healing.  For that I am very sorry.

I never was much of a cheerleader.  And that maybe not a be a good thing...what would we be without the encouragement and cheers of others?  I'm kind of embarrassed by people who  get enthralled by my "courage" or "bravery"  I'm not courageous...I'm just doing my best to live my life and do what I have to do.  If I had a way out of it--a way to leave my illness behind, I would certainly take it...But there seems to be little respite....except a stiff upper lip and tears at night when the pain is too bad...

If I talk too much about medical things its because my life is pretty much involved with them.  I hope that my life centers around Jesus and not around illness.  I need to do more braggin' on Him. 

My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad.
Psalm 44:8 In God we have boasted continually, and we will give thanks to your name forever.Selah
Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring

Jeremiah 9:24
but let those who boast boast in this, that they understand and know me, that I am the Lord; I act with steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, says the Lord.
 
We often boast in our health...our wealth...our own strength or knowledge.   But as you see in these few verses (and there are many more besides them) GOD is the only one we should be bragging on.  He gave us our health and strength...and it is his to remove....we do not know what tomorrow will bring.
I see people who run....and to me that is the epitome of good health.  I have never (as an adult) been able to run and have always wanted to....and runners like to talk about running...about how far they went and how fast and about where they will be racing next.  And the truth is whether or not they ever run another step is in the hands and plans of God.  And if God were to remove that ability they cannot complain because he is the Master and owner of their bodies.
The truth is, we are ALL in a race...the healthy, and the sick, the rich and the poor....and the apostle Paul enjoins us to run in such a manner as to complete the race.  He also tells us to take off anything that is impeding our run and run to win the laurels.   
And when we have done that and approach our finish line, we can give thanks to the Lord for carrying us through our race...And we can brag on God the one who has empowered us, helped us when we could not run and who has lovingly guided our feet...And we brag that we KNOW such a God as this. 
So for Invisible Illnesses?  They are not invisible to God.  And here's the great thing.  He knows all about your illness, all about your pain.  He is close to you.  and when the pain is too great, he will get you through it.  And then the next day you will have another "God story"  that you can feel free to use to brag on God a little more.

No comments: